- The Union government has planned to introduce artificial intelligence system in the MCA 21 portal as it seeks to make the compliance process easier as well as ensure routine enforcement activities are done round-the-clock on autopilot basis.
- On World Meterology Day, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and National Physical Laboratory (CSIR-NPL) has introduced redefined International System of Units for the country.
- The BJP has surpassed its previous record of 282 Lok Sabha seats in 2014, winning 302 constituencies and leading in one in the 543 member house.
- President Ram Nath Kovind today dissolved the 16th Lok Sabha with immediate effect on the recommendation of the Union cabinet, the Rashtrapati Bhavan said in a statement.
- In Australia, Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s Liberal-National Coalition has won the 2019 Australian federal election.
- The Navies of India and Singapore are participating in the annual maritime bilateral exercise ‘SIMBEX-19’ in the South China Sea.
- Joko Widodo (57-years) has been re-elected as Indonesia’s president after last month’s vote, beating former general Prabowo Subianto.
- Pakistan has appointed career diplomat Mueenul Haq (current ambassador to France) as the High Commissioner to India.
- In Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskiy (41-years) took oath as the country’s new President.
- Saray Khumalo became the first black African women to conquer Mt. Everest in her fourth attempt.
- The Bangladesh High Commission in Islamabad has stopped issuing visas to Pakistani nationals for one week.
- The coach of Kenya’s Olympic track team in 2016, Michael Rotich, has been banned for 10 years for corruption.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) declared Algeria and Argentina as malaria-free, with no recorded cases of indigenous transmission of the disease since 2013 and 2010 respectively.
Economy and Business
- Reliance Industries has toppled state-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) to become the country’s biggest company by revenue.
- The HDFC group has overtaken the 151-year-old Tata group to emerge as India’s most valuable by way of market capitalization (m-cap).
- Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone will set up its first container terminal outside India in Myanmar at an estimated cost of USD 290 million (over Rs 2,000 crore).
- Facebook, which owns WhatsApp and Instagram, is gearing up to launch its own cryptocurrency in 2020.
- Spain’s Rafael Nadal (defending Champion) has clinched the Italian Open 2019 Tennis title after beating Serbian Novak Djokovic 6-0, 4-6, 6-1 in the final in Rome.
- The world body governing Badminton, BFA, has launched two new formats of the game AirBadminton and Triples with new dimensions of the court and an innovative shuttlecock called Airshuttle.
- Ten million US Dollars (more than 70 crore rupees) are on offer in the upcoming ICC men’s cricket World Cup.
- Six-time world champion MC Mary Kom and Sarita Devi won gold medals at the second India Open boxing tournament.
- Anil Kapoor was felicitated by Council of European Chambers of Commerce in India and a European Union delegation in Mumbai.
- Oman author Jokha Alharthi (first Arabic-language writer) has won the prestigious Man Booker International Prize for “Celestial Bodies”, the story of three sisters of a desert country confronting its slave-owning past and a complex modern world.
- Former Indian foreign secretary Shyam Saran (72-years) has been chosen to be conferred with Japan’s second highest national award in its 2019 Spring Imperial Decorations
- With sales estimated at ₹168.25 crore, contemporary sculptor Anish Kapoor has topped the first edition of the Hurun India Art List.
- The Centre has cleared the appointment of Justice D N Patel as the Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May announces resignation from her post.
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed a decorated Indian Army officer as the new Force Commander of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan.
- World Metrology Day is observed every year on 20 May.
- Today, the nation is paying homage to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on his 28th death anniversary.
- The World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is observed on 21st May every year.
Science and Tech
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched its earth observation satellite RISAT-2B (latest radar imaging satellite) from Satish Dhawan Space Centre Sriharikota (90 km north of Chennai).
- The National Centre for Coastal Research has found an alarming pattern of bleaching in the reefs in Mandapam, Keezhakkarai and Palk Bay.
- International researchers have broken the record for superconductivity at the highest temperature recorded to date at around -23°C.
- Australia’s national science agency CSIRO has discovered new thread-like fungi that oxidise tiny particles of gold from their surroundings and attach the gold to their strands.
- S. Navy ships conducted joint drills with warships from allies Japan, Australia and South Korea in their first combined exercise in the Western Pacific.
- Flight Lieutenant Bhawana Kanth became the first woman pilot of the Indian Air Force to qualify to undertake missions by day on a fighter aircraft.
- Indian Air Force successfully fired the BrahMos air version missile from its frontline Su-30 MKI fighter aircraft.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test-fired an indigenously developed 500 kg class guided bomb from a Sukhoi combat jet at Pokhran in Rajasthan.
- Austrians former Formula One driver Niki Lauda (70-years) passed away.
- Renowned filmmaker, researcher and educationist Vijaya Mulay (98-years) passed away.
- Sammy Shore, an actor and stand-up comedian who co-founded the Comedy Store, passed away.
- Kerala became the first state to tap into masala bond market by listing the Kerala Infrastructure Investment Fund Board (KIIFB)’s masala bond in LSE’s International Securities Market (ISM).
- The Meghalaya government has approved setting up of a commission to look into the problem faced by farmers.
- Noida is all set to outdo Nagpur by recycling 100 percent of the sewage water generated in the city.
- Bengaluru-based medical doctor Hema Divakar was honoured with the ‘Global Asian of the Year 2018-19’ award in Dubai recently.
- Nahida Manzoor created history by becoming the first Kashmiri woman to successfully summit the World’s highest peak, Mount Everest.
- In Andhra Pradesh, YSR Congress Chief Jagan Mohan Reddy will be sworn in as chief minister of Andhra Pradesh on 30th of this month at Vijayawada.
- Remya Haridas has created history by becoming the only woman to have elected to parliament from Kerala.
- Odisha’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) headed by incumbent Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik is all set to form a government for a fifth consecutive term.
- BJD’s Chandrani Murmu became the youngest ever Lok Sabha MP.
- The kilogram will be redefined by a fundamental property of nature known as Planck’s constant.
- Comedian-actor Kapil Sharma (38-years) has been acknowledged as the most viewed stand-up comedian in India and abroad by the World book of Records London.
- Former PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi was presented with the Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters by Yale University.
- In Karnataka, senior Congress leader HK Patil has resigned as President of state Congress Campaign Committee.
- IAF’s AN-32 aircraft was formally fleet certified to fly on blended aviation fuel containing up to 10% of indigenous bio-jet fuel.
- In the first such move to bring in uniform standards of patient care to battle cancer, the National Health Authority (NHA) and National Cancer Grid (NCG) have signed an MoU under the Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).