- The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of the GSLV Phase – 4 programmes consisting of five GSLV flights during the period from 2021 to 2024.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to create one post of Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General (Coordination, Communication and Information System) in the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
- The Supreme Court has banned mining activities in the catchment areas of Kaziranga National Park and Karbi Anglang Hill in Assam.
- The Ministry of External Affairs has set up an Indo-Pacific Wing in the foreign office.
- Finland’s leftist Social Democrats have recorded a razor-thin victory in general elections, holding off the far-right Finns Party.
- The world’s largest aeroplane designed by Stratolaunch with two fuselages and six Boeing 747 engines, made its first test flight in California, USA.
- In order to deal with the problem of Mt. Everest Peak waste, an eco-friendly toilet will be available in place of a Chinese camping place at 7,028 meters above sea level in the ongoing campaign.
- Google has opened its first African artificial intelligence (AI) centre in Accra, Ghana.
- India has suspended the trade across the Line of Control (LoC) with Pakistan from 19 April 2019.
- Saudi Arabia announced that it will be hosting the G20 summit in November 2020 in its capital Riyadh.
- Pakistan’s Finance Minister Asad Umar abruptly quit the Cabinet before securing a multi-billion-dollar International Monetary Fund bailout package for the cash-strapped country.
Economy and Business
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has put into circulation 50 rupees denomination banknotes signed by its Governor Shaktikanta Das.
- Fincare Small Finance Bank (SFB) has been awarded the prestigious Celent Model Bank 2019 Award in the category of Financial Inclusion, for ‘Redesigning Lending to Reach Small Businesses’.
- IDBI Bank has launched ‘NRI-Insta-Online’ account opening process for NRIs residing in the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) member countries.
- Bandhan Bank has got approval from the Indian Finance Commission (CCI) for the proposed scheme of amalgamation with Home Finance.
- Reliance-Eethane Holding Private Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Industries Limited, is selling its fleet of six very big ethane carriers (VLEC) through an investment deal with Japanese shipping group Mitsui OSS Lines Limited.
- ACI Worldwide announced that Canara Bank has successfully rolled out major new functionality to support EMV card acquiring across its ATM network and Aadhaar Authentication.
- Tata Sponge Iron Ltd has decided to shift its registered office from Keonjhar in Odisha to Kolkata.
- India announced their 15-man squad for the ICC World Cup to be played in England from 30th of next month.
- Former junior national champion Harsheel Dani rallied from a game down against Mads Christophersen of Denmark to clinch the Dutch International badminton title in The Hague, Netherlands.
- Japan’s Kento Momota has won the Singapore Badminton Open men’s singles title 2019 by beating Anthony Ginting (Indonesia) 10-21, 21-19, 21-13.
- FIFA banned the former president of Brazilian football federation Jose Maria Marin from all activities related to football for life.
- Former Cricketer Ravi Shastri was appointed as Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone (RAKEZ) exclusive Corporate Ambassador to the Indian Business Community.
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) imposed a fine of 1,76,000 Euros on Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) for not honouring the Pro League commitments.
- Dr A K Singh, Director at Life Sciences has been honoured with Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 for contributions in life sciences, aerospace and aeronautics at Chandigarh University, Mohali.
- The winners of the 2019 Pulitzer Prizes has announced from the World Room at Columbia University’s School of Journalism by Administrator Dana Canedy.
- The United Nations’ cultural agency had awarded its annual press freedom prize to two Reuters reporters jailed in Myanmar.
- Aretha Franklin received the Pulitzer Prize Special Citation honor.
Appointments / Resignaton
- Col (Dr.) Bibhu Kalyan Nayak has become the first Indian to be appointed Chair of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) Health and Safety Committee by the world governing body.
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) has appointed Rajesh Kumar Yaduvanshi as the executive director of the bank.
- CFO Rakesh Suryakant Shah of Adani Enterprises has resigned.
- Mali’s Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga has resigned along with his whole government, following a motion of no confidence over its failure to handle violence in the West African country.
- Professor Gagandeep Kang has become the first Indian female scientist to be elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in the UK fellowship’s 358-year-history.
- The Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has appointed Mohammed Ishtayeh as the new Prime Minister. Mohammed Ishtayeh will succeed Rami Hamdallah.
- Today, the birth anniversary of 24th and last Jain ‘Tirthankar Bhagwan Mahavir’ is being celebrated across the country.
- The World Haemophilia Day is being observed worldwide on 17th April to increase awareness of haemophilia and other inherited bleeding disorders.
- ‘World Heritage Day’ is celebrated on 18th April every year to celebrate our cultural heritage and encourage people to preserve our rich past.
- The World Liver day is observed on the 19th April every year to spread awareness about the second largest organ ‘liver’ in the body.
Science and Tech
- NASA’s newest planet hunter has discovered its first Earth-size alien world.
- Nepal successfully launched its first satellite Neapolis-1 space in America from Virginia of America.
- Today, Sri Lanka’s first satellite ‘Raavan-1’ was launched in space from NASA’s Flight Facility on the east coast of Virginia.
- A site containing the 220-million-year-old fossilized remains of nearly a dozen dinosaurs has been discovered in western Argentina.
- India Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully test fired indigenously designed and developed Long Range Sub-Sonic Cruise Missile ‘Nirbhay’ from the Integrated Test Range, Chandipur Odisha.
- Chief of Army Staff General Bipin Rawat commissioned the Indian Coast Guard Ship Veera at a ceremony held at Naval Jetty at the dockyard at Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. Veera, third in the series of offshore patrol vessels of the Coast Guard, was built by L&T at its shipbuilding facility at Kattupalli in Chennai.
- The Indian Navy undertook the second edition of the bilateral maritime exercise between the Indian Navy and Vietnam Peoples’ Navy, (IN – VPN BILAT EX) at/ off Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam.
- The Swedish actress Bibi Andersson (83-years) passed away at Stockholm, Sweden.
- America’s first female astronaut candidate pilot Jerrie Cobb(88-years) passed away in Florida following a brief illness.
- The MHA approved a proposal to change the name of a village in Madhya Pradesh from ‘Durjanpur’ to ‘Shivdham’.
- 20 states and UTs have so far joined a pan-India network of single emergency helpline number ‘112’ on which immediate assistance can be sought by anyone in distress.
- India’s first exotic Bird Park ‘Essel World Bird Park’ was launched by EsselWorld Leisure Pvt. Ltd, the entertainment arm of the $6-billion Essel Group in Mumbai.
- Google has complied with an Indian court order to block access to the popular app TikTok over government concerns with illicit content.
- The British Indian Novelist Salman Rushdie’s new novel “Quichotte” will be released in August 2019.
- A book containing English translation of the 100-year-old classic Punjabi poem about Jallianwala Bagh massacre, ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’ has been released in Abu Dhabi.
- The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has approved the merger of Tata Teleservices with Bharti Airtel Ltd., subject to the condition that it furnishes a Rs 7200 crore bank guarantee.