1. The Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has launched the National Road Safety Week with a host of initiatives planned for generating awareness and sensitizing people about safe road usage.
2. President ‘Ram Nath Kovind’ has opened the annual Udyanotsav of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
3. Union Minister of state for Communications Mr Manoj Sinha has released a special postage stamp of the Indian Postal Department on Kumbh Mela.
4. Shehri Samridhi Utsav, an initiative of Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA), aims to extend the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Mission – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), to the most vulnerable, showcase its initiatives and facilitate access of Self-Help Group (SHG) members to the other government schemes.
5. ‘Darwaza Band- Part 2’ campaign launched by Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen focuses on sustaining the open defecation free status of villages across the country.
6. The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal for the establishment of Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog for conservation, protection and development of cows and their progeny.
1. Sri Lanka celebrated the 71st Independence Day in a grand ceremony at the Galle Face Green in Colombo on 4th February 2019
2. Pope and Grand Imam of al-Azhar have signed a historic declaration of fraternity, calling for peace between races, religions, and nations.
3. US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has announced the names of the American private sector members of the US-India CEO Forum among who are MasterCard CEO Ajay Banga and Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf.
4. Donald Trump (US President) has nominated senior Treasury official ‘David Malpass’(62-years) as the chief of the World Bank for a five-year term.
5. Macedonia formally signed an agreement to join NATO (the North Atlantic Treaty Organization) to become the 30th member of the US-led alliance.
6. According to the International Paralympics Committee (IPC), it will conditionally readmit Russia by next month.
Economy and Business
1. The Reserve Bank of India has slapped a Rs1-crore penalty on Syndicate Bank and Rs20 lakh on Axis Bank for violating norms.
2. The Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) decided to reduce the key policy rate or the repo rate by 25 bps to 6.25% in bimonthly policy review of 2018-19.
3. India has jumped eight places to 36th position on the International Intellectual Property (IP) Index, which analyses the IP climate in 50 global economies, this year.
4. RBI in the exercise of powers conferred under Section 47 A of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 has levied a penalty of Rupees one crore on the State Bank of India (SBI) for not monitoring the end use of funds in respect of one of its borrowers.
5. The Reserve Bank of India raised the limit of collateral-free agricultural loans to Rs. 1.6 lakh from the current Rs. 1 lakh with a view to help small and marginal farmers.
1. Indian women’s cricket team opener Smriti Mandhana has become the top-ranked batter in women’s ODI cricket, as per the latest rankings released by the ICC.
2. Former captain of the Pakistan women team Sana Mir has become the first Asian woman to play hundred T20s.
3. Indian squash player Ramit Tandon defeated Egyptian Mohamed El Sherbini in the finals to win the Seattle Open, a PSA challenger squash Tour event.
4. World champion Indian weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu (24-year) notched up a gold medal (in 48kg category) at the EGAT Cup in Thailand.
5. India’s Rohit Sharma (31-year) has become the highest run scorer in the Twenty20 International history while playing against New Zealand in Auckland.
1. Noted Manipuri filmmaker Aribam Shyam Sharma returned his Padma Shri Award on February 3, 2019.
2. Uniphore was announced the winner of the Aegis Graham Bell Award 2019 in ‘Innovations and Data Science’ category for innovating ‘auMina’.
3. The National Film Development Corporation of India has been declared winner under the Mini ratna category by the Ministry of MSME.
4. The State Bank of India’s Uk chief Mr. Sanjiv Chadha has been honored with the ‘Freedom of the City Of London’ by the city of London Corporation in recognition of his contribution to promoting the bilateral relations. Sanjiv Chadha was nominated for the honor by Lord Mayor of London Peter Estlin and Sheriff Vincent Keaveny.
5. Father Francois Laborde (92-year) was conferred the Légion d’Honneur (Legion of Honour), the highest civilian award of France, in recognition of his work for specially-abled children.
1. Former Nepal’s law minister Nilambar Acharya has been appointed as the Country’s Ambassador to India.
2. PV Bharathi has taken charge as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Corporation Bank
3. Denmark, Sweden, Austria, France, Spain, and Britain recognised Juan Guaido as the President of Venezuela.
4. The Union government has appointed Dinesh Bhatia as the next Ambassador of India to Argentina.
5. The government appointed Air India chief managing director and Chairperson Pradeep Singh Kharola the secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation.
1. The world cancer day is being observed on 4th February every year to raise awareness about cancer, its treatment and to encourage methods of its prevention.
2. International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a United Nations-sponsored annual awareness day that takes place on 6th February as part of the UN’s efforts to eradicate female genital mutilation.
Science and Tech
1. Today, India’s communication satellite GSAT-31 has been launched successfully from Kourou Launch Base, French Guiana (at Indian time- 2:31 am).
1. 92 army men were awarded Sena medals for their gallantry and distinguished services at an investiture ceremony in Udhampur.
1. Veteran Marathi actor Ramesh Bhatkar (70-years) passed away at a hospital in Mumbai.
2. John Dingell, the longest-serving congressman in US history, has passed away aged 92.
3. ‘Granny Dakshayani’, India’s oldest elephant in captivity died at 88 in Kerala.
1. New building of the Andhra Pradesh High Court was inaugurated by CJI Ranjan Gogoi at Amravathy on February 3, 2019.
2. Kerala has become the first State to set up a Price Monitoring and Research Unit (PMRU) to track violation of prices of essential drugs and medical devices under the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO).
3. The National Green Tribunal slapped a penalty of Rs. 25 lakhs on the UP government for its failure to stop the discharge of dirty water in the Upper Ganga canal.
4. J&K-based Tehreek-ul-Mujahideen has been banned by the Home Ministry.
5. Senior IPS officer Dinkar Gupta (1987 batch IPS officer) has taken over the charge of Director General of the Punjab Police at a simple ceremony at Chandigarh.
6. While exercising powers conferred in Section 5 of Land Revenue Act, the State Government of Jammu and Kashmir issued a notification of creation of Ladakh as 3rd Division in the state.
1. A committee chaired by Union Environment Minister Harsh Vardhan has accorded wildlife clearance to the Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed train corridor.
1. NTPC signed an agreement with HDFC Bank on 5th February 2019 for a Rs. 2500 crore loan to part financial expenditure.
2. India and Bangladesh have signed an MOU for training 1800 Bangladesh Civil Servants at the National Centre for Good Governance (NCGG) an institute under the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DAR&PG), Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Govt. of India, over the next 6 years.
3. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) announced that it has signed a pact with Invest India to promote foreign investments in the country and Indian investments abroad.