These NCERT Solutions for Class 6 History Chapter 10 New Empires and Kingdoms are prepared by experts who are familiar with the latest CBSE guidelines. You can use them to score maximum marks in your exams. It will be useful in increasing concentration skill and score better marks in the exams. Chapter 10 Class 6 History will help in building a great foundation of knowledge and make easy for the students to understand basics.
Chapter 10 New Empires and Kingdoms Class 6 History NCERT Solutions
1. State whether true or false:
(a) Harishena composed a prashasti in praise of Gautamiputra Shri Satakarni.
(b) The rulers of Aryavarta brought tribute for Samudragupta.
(c) There were twelve rulers in Dakshinapatha.
(d) Taxila and Madurai were important centres under the control of the Gupta rulers.
(e) Aihole was the capital of the Pallavas.
(f) Local assemblies functioned for several centuries in south India.
2. Mention three authors who wrote about Harshavardhana.
Three authors who wrote about Harshavardhanan were Banabhatta, Xuan Zang and Ravikirti.
3. What changes do you find in the army at this time?
The changes in the armies of this time are:
- The kings began to maintain well organised armies. The armies included infantry, elephants, chariots, and cavalry.
- Other than a regular army, the kings also appointed some military chiefs. These military chiefs were not given regular salaries, but were paid through land grants. These were known as samantas.
4. What were the new administrative arrangements during this period?
The new administrative arrangements during this time were:
- Some administrative posts have now become hereditary, meaning sons succeed fathers to these posts.
- Sometimes, one person held many offices. For instance, besides being a maha-danda-nayaka, Harishena was a kumar-amatya, meaning an important minister, and also functioned as a sandhi-vigrahika, meaning a minister of war and peace.
- There were a few individuals in local administration who had a lot of influence. For example, the nagara shreshthi (chief merchant or chief banker) was very powerful in any city or town.
5. What do you think Arvind would have to do if he was acting as Samundragupta?
If Arvind was acting as Samudragupta, he would behave on the following robes: he had to march in fancy robes and sit on a royal throne. He would also play the veena and instruct his court people.
6. Do you think ordinary people would have read and understood the prashastis? Give reasons for your answer.
Prashasti is an ancient Indian text. It is written in Sanskrit language. Sanskrit was not a language used by common people. It was difficult for common people (like me) to understand the language.
1. If you had to make a genealogy for yourself, who are the people you would include in it? How many generations would you like to show? Make a chart and fill it.
I wanted to trace my family tree for three generations. I would like to include three generations: my great grandfather, who had two sons; one of them had no children and the other, my grandfather. My father, who is the only son of my grandfather. My father has only son that’s me.
2. How do you think wars affect the lives of ordinary people today?
Wars affects the lives of ordinary people today in various ways:
- Large number of innocent people are killed.
- During war national property, public property like roads are destroyed and damaged.
- Wars spread unhealthy atmosphere in the society such as violence, pollution, mental disturbance, diseases etc.