NCERT Solutions for Class 10 English Footprints Without Feet Chapter 3 The Midnight Visitor act as a foundation for the student’s future higher education. The solutions provide the student with an in-depth understanding of the subject matter. By going through these solutions, students can understand the concepts better and also learn how to apply them in different answers.
Chapter 3 The Midnight Visitor Class 10 English NCERT Solutions also help students develop important life skills such as time management, critical thinking, and problem-solving. In order to get command over the subject, it is important to have a good grip on the NCERT Solutions. These solutions provide a step by step guide to solving the problems in the textbook.
Chapter 3 The Midnight Visitor Class 10 English Footprints Without Feet NCERT Solutions
1. How is Ausable different from other secret agents?
While secret agents tend to be mysterious individuals with pistols in hand, Ausable looks quite ordinary in comparison. He is fat, but his appearance speaks for itself.
2. Who is Fowler and what is his first authentic thrill of the day?
Fowler is a young romantic writer who wants to write a book on detectives. He had come to meet Ausable. In Ausable’s room, he has his first authentic thrill of the day. There is a man with a pistol in his hand. He threatens to kill Ausable. But Ausable remains calm. He at once makes up the story of the balcony. There is a knock at the door. Ausable says it could be the police. The man jumps on to the balcony to hide himself. But there is no balcony. Nothing could be more thrilling.
3. How has Max got in?
Max had a passkey with him. He unlocked the room with it. Thus he entered the room.
4. How does Ausable say he got in?
Ausable says that Max must have entered his room through the balcony outside the window.
Think About It
1. “Ausable did not fit any description of a secret agent Fowler had ever read”. What do secret agents in books and films look like, in your opinion ? Discuss in groups or in class some stories or movies featuring spies, detectives and secret agents, and compare their appearance with that of Ausable in this story. (You may mention characters from fiction in languages other than English. In English fiction you may have come across Sherlock Holmes. Hercule Poirot, or Miss Marple. Have you watched any movies featuring James Bond ?)
Ausable did not fit any description of a secret agent. Fowler was rather disappointed when he saw such a fat and sloppy man as one.
Throughout history, in books and films, secret agents have been portrayed as exceptionally smart, well-dressed, and driven in expensive cars. They usually wear hats and goggles, long coats and gloves in their hands, and are always surrounded by beautiful women with dark eyes. They shoot more than they talk, which disappoints Fowler, who finds Ausable lacking in such qualities as a secret agent. There are smart and sharp characters in English fiction, such as Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, or Miss Marple.
I’ve seen James Bond movies, such as ‘Dr. No’, ‘Goldfish’, and ‘007 with Love’, which showcase agents with exceptional brains and features.
2. How does Ausable manage to make Max believe that there is a balcony attached to his room? Look back at his detailed description of it. What makes it a convincing story?
Ausable convinces Max that a balcony exists beneath his room’s window. He adds that once before, a man had entered his room through the balcony as well. He says that the balcony belongs to the next apartment. It extends under Max’s window and is a vivid description of it. After hearing all this, Max is convinced about the balcony story.
- Looking back at the story, when do you think Ausable thought up his plan for getting rid of Max ? Do you think he had worked out his plan in detail right from the beginning ? Or did he make up a plan taking advantage of events as they happened ?
Ausable is an extremely intelligent secret agent. As soon as he enters his room, a man with a pistol holds a pistol. Ausable remains calm, so he invents a story about the balcony. He convinces Max there is a balcony beneath the window of his room. Ausable is aware that he will be greeted by the waiter shortly. When this occurs, he says it could be the police. Max panics and jumps on the balcony to hide. Hence, Ausable takes advantage of events as they unfold. His plan wasn’t formulated beforehand.