MCQ Questions for Chapter 1 India: Size and Location Class 9 Geography with answers will help you attaining the results that students desire. By understanding the types of questions that will be asked, and practicing answering them, you can improve your scores on these exams. Also, knowing how to properly eliminate incorrect answer choices can also help increase your chances of getting the correct answer.
With some practice and preparation, India: Size and Location Class 9 Geography MCQ exams can become much easier to ace. Exams that contain MCQ questions can be daunting, but if you study and prepare well, they can be much easier to answer. These questions will make it easier for you to learn the concepts better. In Class 9 Geography MCQ questions, there are four options and you have to select the correct answer.
Chapter 1 India: Size and Location MCQ Questions for Class 9 Geography with answers
1. The Standard Meridian of India, 82°30′E passes through which of the following places?
(a) Kanniyakumari in Tamil Nadu
(b) Walong in Arunachal Pradesh
(c) Kachchh in Gujarat
(d) Mirzapur in Uttar Pradesh
► (d) Mirzapur in Uttar Pradesh
2. Which of the following has reduced India’s distance from Europe by 7000 km?
(a) Suez Canal
(b) Panama Canal
(c) Indira Gandhi Canal
(d) Buckingham Canal
► (a) Suez Canal
3. From Arunachal Pradesh to Gujarat there is a time lag of :
(a) 24 hours
(b) 12 hours
(c) 2 hours
(d) 30 minutes
► (c) 2 hours
4. Indian Standard Time or I.S.T. is how many hours ahead or behind of G.M.T. or Universal Time?
(a) 5 hrs 30 min behind G.M.T.
(b) 15 hrs ahead of G.M.T.
(c) 5 hrs 30 min ahead of G.M.T.
(d) None of the above
► (c) 5 hrs 30 min ahead of G.M.T.
5. Which of the following influences the duration of the day and night, as one moves from
south to north?
(a) Longitudinal extent
(b) Latitudinal extent
(c) Standard Meridian
(d) All the above
► (b) Latitudinal extent
6. Both the latitudinal and longitudinal extent of India’s mainland is about 30°. But on looking at the map of India which of the following alternatives do you observe about India’s size?
(a) East-west extent appears to be smaller than north-south extent
(b) East-west extent appears to be larger than north-south extent
(c) East-west and north-south extent appears equal
(d) North-south extent appears to be smaller than east-west extent
► (a) East-west extent appears to be smaller than north-south extent
7. The sun rises two hours earlier in Arunachal Pradesh as compared to Gujarat. What time will the watch show in Gujarat if it is 6 am in Arunachal Pradesh?
(a) 4.16 am
(b) 7.44 am
(c) 6 am
(d) 5.44 am
► (c) 6 am
8. Which geographical feature bounds India’s mainland south of 22°N latitude?
(a) Young Fold Mountains
(b) Sandy Desert
(c) Lava Plateaus
(d) Seas and Ocean
► (d) Seas and Ocean
9. What is India’s size with respect to other countries of the world?
► (d) Seventh
10. Approximately what is the latitudinal and longitudinal extent of the mainland of India?
► (c) 30°
11. Which of the following figures shows the total area of India’s landmass?
(a) 2.4 million square km
(b) 3.28 million square km
(c) 32.8 million square km
(d) 3.28 million km
► (b) 3.28 million square km
12. Which of the following groups of islands belonging to the Indian territory lies in the Bay of Bengal?
(a) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
(b) Sri Lanka
► (a) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
13. Which of the following is the western-most longitude of India?
► (b) 68°7′E
14. Which of the following is the longitudinal extent of India?
(a) 8°4′N and 37°6′N
(b) 68°7′N and 97°25′E
(c) 68°7′E and 97°25′W
(d) 8°4′E and 37°6′E
► (b) 68°7′N and 97°25′E
15. Which of the following parallels of latitude divides India into two almost equal parts?
(b) Tropic of Capricorn
(c) Tropic of Cancer
(d) Prime Meridian
► (c) Tropic of Cancer
16. India achieved multi-faceted socio-economic progress during which of the following periods?
(a) Since ancient times
(b) During medieval period
(c) In the 21st century
(d) During the last five decades
► (d) During the last five decades
17. Which of the following places of India is located on the three seas?
(a) Port Blair
► (c) Kanniyakumari
18. Which of the following is the oldest route of contact between India and other countries of the world?
(a) Ocean routes
(b) Maritime contact
(c) Land routes
(d) Air routes
► (c) Land routes
19. Which of the following longitudes is selected as the Standard Meridian for India?
► (b) 82°30′E
20. Which one of the following is the southern-most Latitude of India?
(a) 8° 4′ North
(b) 8° 4′ South
(c) 6° 4′ South
(d) 6° 4′ North
► (c) 6° 4′ South
21. Due to which of the following reasons is the Indian Ocean named after India?
(a) India has a strategic location along the trans-Indian Ocean routes
(b) No other country has a long coastline on the Indian Ocean as India
(c) India is centrally located at the head of the Indian Ocean
(d) All of the above
► (d) All of the above
22. Which line divides India into approximately two equal parts?
(b) Tropic of Cancer
(c) Tropic of Capricorn
(d) None of these
► (b) Tropic of Cancer
23. Which one of the following straits separates India from Sri Lanka?
(a) Sunda Strait
(b) Johor Strait
(c) Bering Strait
(d) Palk Strait
► (d) Palk Strait
24. Which one of the following forms the southern-most tip of the Indian mainland?
(a) Indira Point
(c) Palk Strait
► (b) Kanniyakumari