MCQ Questions for Class 9 Science Chapter 5 The Fundamental Unit of Life play a very significant role in your final preparation for the exams. The questions are also helpful for the students who want to improve their time management skills.
Chapter 5 Class 9 Science CBSE MCQ Questions with answers are a type of test question that allows you to select the correct answer from a list of options. This type of question is often used in exams, and practicing with them can help you get the highest marks possible.
Chapter 5 The Fundamental Unit of Life Class 9 Science MCQ Questions
1. Select the correct pair that comprises of only unicellular organisms.
(a) Amoeba and Rhizopus
(b) Paramecium and Chlamydomonas
(c) Bacteria an fungi
(d) Plants and animals
▶ (b) Paramecium and Chlamydomonas
2. Who discovered the cell?
(a) Robert Hooke
(c) Robert Brown
(d) T. Schwann
▶ (a) Robert Hooke
3. Which of the following controls all biological activities of a cell?
(b) Cell wall
(d) All of these
▶ (c) Nucleus
4. Cell theory was proposed by
(a) Robert Brown
(b) Robert Hook
(c) Schleiden and Schwann
(d) Anton von Leeuwenhoek
▶ (c) Schleiden and Schwann
5. Plasma membrane is composed of
(a) cellulose and lipids
(b) lipids and proteins
(c) peptidoglycan and lipids
(d) cellulose and proteins
▶ (b) lipids and proteins
6. Digestive Enzymes are found in:
(b) Cell wall
▶ (c) Lysosomes
7. Select the odd group from the following.
(a) Chlamydomonas, Paramecium, bacteria
(b) Fungi, Plants, Animals
(c) Sperm, Neuron, Amoeba
(d) Schleiden, Schwann, Virchow
▶ (c) Sperm, Neuron, Amoeba
8. The cell wall of a plant cell is made up of:
▶ (d) cellulose
9. Cell wall of plants is mainly composed of
▶ (c) lipids
10. Which structure in plant cell is responsible for providing the energy required to drive cellular processes?
(d) Golgi apparatus
▶ (b) Mitochondria
11. A plant cell placed in a hypotonic solution will not burst because of presence of
(a) plasma membrane
(b) cell wall
▶ (b) cell wall
12. What is ‘autolysis’?
(c) Self-food producers
(d) Food decomposer
▶ (b) Self-digestion
13. Which of the following cell organelles help in the storage, modification, and packaging of substances manufactured in the cell?
(a) Golgi apparatus
▶ (a) Golgi apparatus
14. What is the important function of nucleus?
(b) Cellular reproduction
(c) Lipid synthesis
(d) Protein synthesis
▶ (b) Cellular reproduction
15. What is meant by ‘multicellular’?
(a) The single celled organism.
(b) The cytoplasmic projection which helps in locomotion and feeding of Amoeba
(c) Organisms made of more than one cell.
(d) A group of tissues which together perform specific function
▶ (c) Organisms made of more than one cell
16. An organism has poorly defined nuclear membrane in its cells. This organism could be a/an
▶ (a) bacteria
17. The transportation of materials in the cell is done by
(a) Golgi complex
(d) Endoplasmic reticulum
▶ (d) Endoplasmic reticulum
18. If the ribosome of a cell are destroyed then
(a) respiration will not take place
(b) fats will not be stored
(c) carbon assimilation will not occur
(d) proteins will not be formed
▶ (d) proteins will not be formed
19. What is the function of the central vacuole in plants?
(a) Stores water and dissolved nutrients
(b) Carries out photosynthesis
(c) Releases energy from stored nutrients
(d) Protects the genetic material of the cell
▶ (a) Stores water and dissolved nutrients
20. Who proposed the “Black Reaction”?
(b) Camillo Golgi
(d) None of these
▶ (b) Camillo Golgi
21. Amoeba acquires its food by the process of
▶ (b) endocytosis
22. In chloroplasts, light is captured by
(a) thylakoids within grana
(b) grana within cisternae
(c) cisternae within grana
(d) grana within thylakoids
▶ (a) thylakoids within grana
23. Who discovered the nucleus in the cell?
(b) Robert Brown
(d) Robert Hooke
▶ (b) Robert Brown
24. Why is it crucial for root hair cells to have a long, narrow cytoplasmic extension?
(a) To speed up the uptake of oxygen
(b) To speed up the removal of carbon dioxide
(c) To speed up the uptake of ions
(d) To speed up the uptake of sugars and amino acids
▶ (c) To speed up the uptake of ions
25. Besides nucleus, DNA is also present in
(a) ribosome’s and Golgi apparatus
(b) mitochondria and chloroplasts
(c) lysosomes and endoplasmic reticulum
(d) Golgi complex and mitochondria
▶ (b) mitochondria and chloroplasts
26. Chromosomes are composed of
(a) DNA and protein
(b) DNA and sugar
(c) sugar and protein
▶ (a) DNA and protein
27. Which out of the following is not a function of vacuole?
(b) Providing turgidity and rigidity to the cell
(c) Waste excretion
▶ (d) Locomotion
28. Which of the following cell organelles can make complex sugars from simple sugars?
(c) Endoplasmic reticulum
(d) Golgi apparatus
▶ (a) Ribosomes
29. The cell wall of which one of these is not made up of cellulose?
(c) Mango tree
▶ (a) Bacteria