India is the seventh largest country in the world in terms of area and a potential superpower. Population wise, it is second largest country in the world. The country is spread between 8°4”to 37°6′ N latitude and 68°7′ to 97°25′ E longitude. It is flanked by the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea, along the southeast and along the southwest respectively.
In Indian Geography, we are going to study the various geographical aspects of India such as physiography, river systems, soil systems, natural vegetation and climate. We will discuss each aspect in detailed manner.
• Physiography of India: We will study the location and size, neighbourhood, political division and physical features of India. India may be divided into six major physiographic regions which are The Northern Mountains, The Great
Plains, The Peninsular plateau, The Indian Desert, The Coastal plains and Islands.
• River Systems: In this part, we will discuss the Indian rivers which are divided into two major groups, the Himalayan rivers and the Peninsular rivers.
• Soil Systems: In this section, we will talk about the different types of soil found in India and their features.
• Natural Vegetation and Wildlife: We will study the different types of forests and wildlife species of India.
• Climate: In this section, we will try to answer the questions like which type of climate of India have and why? We will discuss various climatic factors that are affecting India’s climate.
2. Physiography of India
The Northern Mountains
The Northern Plains
The Peninsular Plateau
The Coastal Plains
3. Drainage Systems
The Himalayan Rivers
The Peninsular Rivers
Factors Affecting Indian Climate
Summer and Winter Seasons
South West Monsoon Season
Retreating Monsoon Season
Jet Stream Theory
Tropical Easterly Jet, Tibet
Western Disturbances | Cloudburst
5. Natural Vegetation and Wildlife
Wildlife present in India
6. Soil Types
Soil Profile (Soil Horizon)
Factors that influence soil formation
Soil Salinity and Soil Alkalinity
Methods of Soil Conservation
7. Power Resources
8. Mineral Resources