30 October 2018 Current Affairs (English)
Share this news :Share this news :
Nitin Gadkari lays the foundation for India’s largest Dry Dock
- The Union Minister Nitin Gadkari has laid the foundation for India’s largest Dry Dock at Cochin Shipyard in Kerala.
- The Dry Dock will give an impetus to Make in India initiative under Sagarmala and raise India’s share in global shipbuilding to two per cent.
- Currently, Cochin Shipyard has two dry docks, one predominantly used for shipbuilding of size 255m x 43 x 9m and capacity 1,10,000 DWT and the other one for ship repair of size 270 x 45 x 12m and capacity 1,25,000 DWT.
- Currently, India occupies 0.66 % share in the global shipbuilding market.
SC bans 15-year-old petrol & 10-year-old diesel vehicles in NCR
- The Supreme Court (SC) has banned petrol (15-year-old) & diesel (10-year-old) vehicles in Delhi-NCR (National Capital Region) to curb pollution.
- The Supreme Court made it clear that such vehicles would be impounded if found on roads in Delhi-NCR.
- The apex court directed that a list of 15-year-old petrol and 10-year-old diesel vehicles be published on the website of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and transport departments of the NCR area.
National Summit on Public Health Care begins
- The 5th ‘National Summit on Good and Replicable Practices and Innovations in Public Health Care Systems in India’ began at Kaziranga in Assam on 30 October 2018.
- The summit was organised by the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- The objective of the summit is to share and learn the good practices being implemented by states and organisations for the betterment of the health sector.
EWDS system launched by Odisha CM
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the Early Warning Dissemination System (EWDS) and the mass message system.
- EWDS was launched on the occasion of Odisha Disaster Preparedness Day, which is observed on 29th October 2018.
- The EWDS will warn the people residing along the coast in the state through the alert siren system from towers installed at 122 locations.
Paraguayan Clara Sosa wins Miss Grand International 2018 in Myanmar
Justice Bist sworn in as Sikkim High Court CJ
Re-appointment of Aditya Puri as MD approved
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved the re-appointment of Aditya Puri as Managing Director of the HDFC bank for another two years.
- Aditya Puri has been with the bank since 1994, making him the longest-serving head of any private bank in the country.
- Shareholders had already approved his appointment in 2015 for five years subject to the RBI’s approval.
Urdu writer Qazi Abdussattar passed away
- Professor Qazi Abdussattar passed away on 29 October 2018.
- He was a noted Urdu writer and former head of Aligarh Muslim University’s Urdu department
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 1974.
- He was also the first recipient of Ghalib Academy Award in 1978.
- His most famous short story ‘Peetal Ka Ghanta’ drew acclaim in the Urdu literary world.
India, Qatar decide to establish a joint commission to strengthen relations
- India and Qatar decided to establish a joint commission to strengthen their relations in various fields with a view to furthering the common interest of the people of the two countries.
- The joint declaration signed by Sushma Swaraj (External Affairs Minister of India) and Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani (Foreign Minister of Qatar) in Doha, highlights the decision to set up the joint commission.
- The objective of the joint commission is to focus on various areas including economic, commercial, cultural, scientific, technological, Information Technology and educational fields.