23rd August 2018 Current Affairs
Share this news :
Cities and towns must be free of public urination and not just open defection
- Under new norms, cities and towns wanting to be declared ODF+ (Open Defecation Free Plus) must also be free of public urination and not just open defecation.
- This is the first time that the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) is officially including the elimination of public urination in its agenda.
Arun Jaitley re-appointed as Finance Minister
- President Ram Nath Kovind re-appointed Arun Jaitley as Finance Minister.
- Arun Jaitley will resume charge of both finance and corporate affairs portfolios.
Fighter jet named 'KOWSAR' has unveiled
- Iran unveiled its first domestic fighter jet named ‘KOWSAR’ with President Hassan Rouhani.
- The new “Kowsar” is a fourth-generation fighter shown at the National Defence Industry exhibition in Tehran.
The Kempegowda International Airport has emerged as the second fastest growing airport in the world
- The Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) has emerged as the second fastest growing airport in the world in the first half of 2018 in terms of actual growth in the number of passengers.
- It has recorded 1,58,50,352 flyers during the six-month period.
Flipkart launched ‘2GUD’ for refurbished goods
- India’s largest e-commerce marketplace Flipkart launched ‘2GUD’, its first-ever independent platform for refurbished goods.
- The product portfolio of 2GUD would initially include smartphones, laptops, tablets and electronic accessories.
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank announced the launch of its overdraft facility
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank announced the launch of its overdraft facility for Micro and Small Enterprises (MSE).
- The facility is an add-on product to the existing MSE term loans offered by the bank.
Shardul Vihan clinched the silver medal in the men’s double trap shooting
- Shardul Vihan clinched the silver medal in the men’s double trap shooting event at the 18th Asian Games on 23rd August, 2018.
- Korea’s Shin Hyunwoo clinched the gold medal while Qatar’s Al Marri Hamad Ali bagged the bronze medal.
David Beckham will receive the UEFA President’s Award
- Former England captain David Beckham will receive the UEFA President’s Award for his contribution to football and for promoting the sport around the world.
- Beckham played for Manchester United, La Galaxy, Real Madrid, AC Milan and Paris St-Germain.
Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated the Bhamashah Techno Hub
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated the Bhamashah Techno Hub on 23rd August 2018.
- The hub will provide free space, easier funding avenues and mentorship to startups.
A satellite built to track global winds and improve weather forecasts
- A new satellite that will use advanced laser technology to track global winds and improve weather forecasts has been successfully put into orbit.
- The name of the satellite is “Aeolus” — named after the guardian of wind in Greek mythology.
Kuldip Nayar passed away in New Delhi
- Eminent Indian writer and journalist Kuldip Nayar passed away in New Delhi on August 23, 2018.
- As a journalist, he has documented in detail, human rights violations by the State.
The ICOMOS has launched an initiative to assess the damage to the rich cultural and built heritage
- The ICOMOS, a global monument conservation body, has launched an initiative to assess the damage to the rich cultural and built heritage in flood-devastated Kerala.
- The International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) is a non-government organisation (NGO).
Share this news :
BIMSTEC will be held at Kathmandu in Nepal
- The fourth Summit of Heads of State/Government of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) will be held at Kathmandu in Nepal on August 30 and 31, 2018.
- BIMSTEC is a regional economic bloc comprising seven member states lying in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal.
You May Also Like