22nd April 2019 Current Affairs
Sree Sreenath Inducted into Cleveland International Hall of Fame
- Indian-American scientist and social activist Sree Sreenath has been inducted into the prestigious Cleveland International Hall of fame for his contribution in applications in systems biology, global issues, and sustainable development.
- He earned BE in Electrical Engineering from Bangalore University and is currently serving as Director of Case GEMNI (Graduate Engineering & Management National and International) Programme at Case Western Reserve University.
Comedian Volodymyr Zelensky wins Ukraine's presidential vote
- Political newcomer, Comedian ‘Volodymyr Zelensky’ (41-year) has won the 2019 Presidential election of the country in a landslide victory.
- He won 73% of the vote in the runoff election, according to national exit poll results broadcast by Ukrainian television.
- The president is directly elected by the citizens of Ukraine for a five-year term of office, limited to two terms consecutively.
- Mr Zelensky is best known for starring in a satirical television series Servant of the People in which his character accidentally becomes Ukrainian president.
- He plays a teacher who is elected after his expletive-laden rant about corruption goes viral on social media.
290 dead in Sri Lanka bomb blasts
- A series of 8 devastating bomb blasts ripped through high-end hotels and churches holding Easter services in Sri Lanka on 21 April 2019.
- The blasts killed 290 people, including dozens of foreigners and injured 500.
- At least two of them involved suicide bombers, including one who lined up at a hotel breakfast buffet before unleashing carnage.
Fognini beats Dusan Lajovic to win the 2019 Monte Carlo Masters
Nasim Zaidi quit Jet Airways board
'International Mother Earth Day' observed across the world
- The International Mother Earth Day has been celebrated every year around the world on ‘22nd April’ to remind each of us that the Earth and its ecosystems provide us with life and sustenance.
- The Day (the largest secular world event) provides an opportunity to raise public awareness around the world to the challenges regarding the well-being of the planet and all the life it supports.
- The theme for 2019 International Mother Earth Day is ” Protect our species”, which aims to draw attention to the rapid extinction of species across the world.
Indian Navy launches Guided-missile destroyer 'Imphal'
- The Indian Navy launched guided missile destroyer Imphal at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders in Mumbai.
- Imphal is the third ship to be launched under a project in which ships are built to carry and operate two multiple role helicopters.
- According to enhanced stealth features have been achieved through the shaping of hull and use of radar transparent deck fittings which make the ships difficult to detect.
- Navy has become a builder from a buyer and was slated to excel in coming years.
Lorraine Warren, A Paranormal Investigator Passes Away
- One of the most well-known paranormal investigators, Lorraine Warren passed away at the age of 92.
- She investigated haunted houses and other manifestation of paranormal activities throughout her life with her late husband Ed. Warren.
- Both wife and husband founded the New England Society at Monroe, Connecticut in 1952 to investigate haunting cases. Famous horror movies like ‘Amityville Horror’ and ‘Conjuring’ were inspired by her work.
1st Hindu temple to be built in UAE
- The foundation stone of the first Hindu temple in UAE’s capital Abu Dhabi was laid recently.
- Mahant Swami Maharaj, spiritual head of the Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar-Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) presided over the four-hour ceremony.
- The temple embodies the timeless Vedic values of Vasudev Kutumbakam.
Try out the quiz ?
1. Srinath has inducted into the Cleveland International Hall of Fame. He is famous....
Indian-American scientist and social worker Shri Srithanath has been included in the prestigious Cleveland International Hall of Fame for his contribution to system biology, global issues and applications in sustainable development.
2. Comedian Volodymyr Jelensky won the presidential election in which country?
Political newcomer, Comedian Volodymyr Jelensky (41-year-old) has won a large majority in the presidential election of Ukraine in the year 2019.
3. In which country eight consecutive devastating bomb blasts occurred in churches?
eight consecutive devastating bomb blasts occurred in churches that held high-level hotels and Easter services in Sri Lanka.
4. Fabio Fognini won the Monte Carlo Masters of the year 2019. He is from which country?
Italian tennis player Fabio Fognini won the Monte Carlo Masters of the year 2019.
5. Naseem Zaidi left Jet Airways board director, he was a former.....
Non-executive and non-independent director of Jet Airways, Naseem Zaidi has left the board, citing lack of personal reasons and time. Former Chief Election Commissioner and former civil aviation secretary Zaidi joined the board of Jet Airways in August last year.
6. What is the theme of International Mother Earth Day 2019?
International Mother Earth Day is celebrated around the world on April 22 so that each of us can be reminded that the earth and its ecosystem provide us life and sustenance. The theme of International Mother Earth Day 2019 is "to protect our species", which aims to attract attention on the rapid extinction of species across the globe.
7. Indian Navy launched guided missile destroyer vessel 'Imphal' in the sea in which Dock Yard?
Indian Navy launched guided missile destroyer vessel 'Imphal' in the sea in Mazgaon Dock Shipbuilders in Mumbai.
8. Amar Paul has died, he was a famous......
The legendary Bengali folk singer Amar Paul died after the cardiac arrest. He was 97 years old.
9. Lorraine Warren has died. He was a famous......
Lorraine Warren, one of the most famous paranormal investigators, died at 92 years of age.
10. The foundation stone of the first Hindu temple was laid in which country?
The foundation stone of the first Hindu temple was laid in Abu Dhabi, UAE.