21st August 2018 Current Affairs
Share this news :
NOTA option will not be applicable for voting in the Rajya Sabha elections
- The Supreme Court ruled that the ‘None of The Above’ (NOTA) option will not be applicable for voting in the Rajya Sabha elections.
- The ruling was made by a bench of Justices comprising CJI Dipak Misra and Justices AM Khanwilkar and DY Chandrachud.
Sports will be part of fundamental rights
- The Supreme Court issued a notice to Centre, state governments and Union Territories on a PIL seeking directions to make sports a part of the Fundamental Rights.
- The PIL said that sports should be included among academics.
Kerala floods declared as a “calamity of severe nature”.
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has declared the Kerala floods a “calamity of severe nature”.
- When a calamity is declared to be of ‘rare severity/severe nature,’ support to the government of the affected state is provided at the national level.
Ten-day festival Esala Maha Perehera began in Kandy
- In Sri Lanka, the ten-day festival of the historic Esala Maha Perehera began in Kandy with a grand procession.
- The procession set off from the biggest Buddhist temple in Sri Lanka, Sri Dalada Maligawa at an auspicious time.
Mehreen Faruqi has become the first Muslim female Senator
- Mehreen Faruqi, a Pakistani-origin woman has become the first Muslim female Senator to be sworn-in to Australia’s Parliament.
- Faruqi replaces veteran senator Lee Rhiannon in the upper house.
Turkey has initiated a dispute complaint with the World Trade Organisation
- Turkey has initiated a dispute complaint with the World Trade Organisation against additional tariffs imposed by the United States on Turkish steel and aluminium imports.
- Previously, President Donald Trump imposed double tariffs on Turkish metal imports.
Paytm has partnered with China's Alibaba to launch 'Paytm AI Cloud'
- Digital payments firm Paytm has partnered with China’s Alibaba to launch AI-based cloud computing platform ‘Paytm AI Cloud’.
- The platform will offer business-centric apps to developers, startups and enterprises that need cloud-computing solutions including customer engagement and easy-to-integrate payments.
Vinesh Phogat won gold medal by beating Yuki Irie
- Vinesh Phogat won India a gold medal by beating Yuki Irie of Japan on Aug 20 in the final of the women’s wrestling at the Asian Games 2018.
- Vinesh defeated Yuki 6-2 in the 50kg category to bag the gold medal.
Gopalkrishna Gandhi has been awarded by Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavna Award
- Former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi was honoured with this year’s Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavna Award for promoting communal harmony and peace.
- Rajiv Gandhi was born on 20 Aug 1948 and every year this award is given to individual for their outstanding work towards peace and secularism.
Scientists have found frozen waters on Moon's polar region
- Scientists have found frozen water deposits in the darkest and coldest parts of the Moon’s Polar Regions using data from the Chandrayaan-I.
- Chandrayan I was launched by India in 2008.
Joint air exercise between Indian Air Force and royal malaysian Air Force took place
- The first-ever joint air exercise involving the Indian Air Force and the Royal Malaysian Air Force commenced on 20th August 2018 at Subang Air Base in Malaysia.
- The exercise in Malaysia will be called Exercise Elang Shakti.
Share this news :
TP Sharma was appointed the new chief Lokayukta of the Chattisgarh.
- Retired judge of the Chhattisgarh High Court TP Sharma was appointed the new chief Lokayukta of the Chattisgarh.
- Sharma will head the Chhattisgarh Lok Ayog, set up to deal with corruption cases against public servants.
You May Also Like