19th September 2019 Current Affairs
Country’s first Central Police University to be built in Greater Noida,Uttar Pradesh
- India’s first Central Police University will be established in Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh near the Yamuna Expressway with the aim to improve the law and order of the country.
- An in-principle approval has been given by the centre for the establishment of the university and 100 acres of land has also been identified for this in Sector Techzone, Greater Noida .
Cabinet bans e-cigarette sales and production, offenders to face jail
- The Union Cabinet has banned the production, manufacturing, import, export, distribution and advertisement of e-cigarettes after considering their impact on the youth.
- First-time offenders would face a prison term of up to one year and a fine of ₹1 lakh, while repeat offenders would face jail terms of up to three years, with a penalty of up to ₹5 lakh.
Sri Lankan president Maithripala Sirisena unveiled Lotus tower- the tallest tower of South Asia, funded by China in Colombo
Indian Bank board gives in-principle approval to merge Allahabad Bank
EPFO to credit 8.65% interest in over 6 crore accounts for 2018-19
- Labour Minister Santosh Gangwar said over 6 crore EPFO accounts will be credited with interest amount at 8.65 per cent rate for 2018-19 ahead of the festival season.
- The Central Board of Trustees — the apex decision-making body of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) — had approved 8.65 per cent interest rate for the last fiscal on February 21, this year.
An official mascot for Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics 2022 revealed
- On September 17, 2019, the smiling panda, named Bing Dwen Dwen was revealed as the official mascot for Beijing Winter Olympics 2022 at a ceremony held at Shougang Ice Hockey Arena in Beijing, China.
- A walking Chinese lantern Shuey Rhon Rhon was declared as the official mascot for Winter Paralympics 2022.
About Olympic Games venues:
2020 Summer Olympics: Tokyo, Japan
2024 Summer Olympics: Paris, France
Former India all-rounder, Dinesh Mongia announces retirement from all forms of cricket career
Vinesh Phogat becomes first Indian wrestler to qualify for Tokyo Olympics
Cognizant India elevates R Ramamoorthy as its new CMD
- Nasdaq listed IT firm Cognizant has elevated Ramkumar Ramamoorthy as chairman and managing director of Cognizant India, and named him head of India operations.
- He will be reporting directly to the company’s executive committee.
Founded :26 January 1994
Headquarters: New Jersey, U.S.
CEO: Brian Humphries
Rajnath Singh becomes first defence minister to fly in light combat aircraft Tejas
- Rajnath Singh has become the 1st defence minister to fly in the indigenously built light combat aircraft.
- He flew in the Tejas fighter aircraft from HAL airport, Bengaluru.
- He was accompanied by Air Vice Marshal N Tiwari, Project Director, ADA in Bengaluru
Top speed: 2,205 km/h
Range: 3,000 km