05th September 2019 Current Affairs
Share this news :Share this news :
PNB approves merger with Oriental Bank, United Bank
- Punjab National Bank’s board on Thursday gave “in-principle approval” to its merger with Oriental Bank of Commerce and United Bank of India.
- This comes following FM Nirmala Sitharaman’s announcement of a plan to merge 10 public sector banks into four entities to create fewer and stronger global-sized lenders.
Prez Kovind to confer National Awards to teachers
- On the occasion of Teachers’ Day, President Ram Nath Kovind on Thursday conferred National Awards to teachers for the year 2018 at Rashtrapati Bhavan to mark the birth anniversary of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
- Kovind, officers, and staff of Rashtrapati Bhavan paid floral tributes to Radhakrishnan, a philosopher-author and India’s second president.
Prof Muhammad Yunus conferred 'Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis ' award
- Nobel Laureate from Bangladesh Professor Muhammad Yunus was conferred the ‘Lamp of Peace of Saint Francis ‘ award by the Vatican for his contribution towards establishing peace and harmony.
- The award is recognition for distinguished work by an individual for promoting peace and dialogue among people.
PM Modi to get Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation’s “Global Goalkeeper Award 2019 ” for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan
Nissan India Appoints Rakesh Srivastava As Managing Director
Shri Jaideep Sarkar concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Lesotho
- According to the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India(GoI) Shri Jaideep Sarkar, a 1987 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Kingdom of Lesotho, with residence in Pretoria.
- He succeeds Ms. Ruchi Ghanashyam.
National teachers’ day celebrated on September 5, 2019
Japanese scientists find new dinosaur species
- Japanese scientists have identified a new species of dinosaur from a nearly complete skeleton that was the largest ever discovered in the country, measuring 8 m long.
- After analysing hundreds of bones dating back 72 million years, the team led by Hokkaido University concluded the skeleton once belonged to a new species of hadrosaurid dinosaur, a herbivorous beast that roamed the Earth in the late Cretaceous period.
Indian bee species named after Ladakh rediscovered after 30 years
- A Czech Republic-based researcher has rediscovered a new cuckoo bee species through a female specimen collected by German bee specialist Klaus Warncke, who first reported the bee about 30 years back.
- Warncke had named the bee ‘Epeolus ladakhensis’ after Ladakh, the only place that it is currently found in.