27 August 2018 Current Affairs
Share this news :Share this news :
The Supreme Court issued a law related to marriage
PSBs rationalising their operation
- Public sector banks are in the process of closing or rationalising about 70 overseas operations in the ongoing financial year as part of a capital conservation exercise.
- According to data, 159 branches of public sector banks are operating in foreign countries, of which 41 branches were in losses in 2016-17.
CEO Indra Nooyi will be honoured with the Game Changer of the Year award
- PepsiCo’s India-born CEO Indra Nooyi will be honoured with the Game Changer of the Year award by a global cultural organisation Asia Society in recognition of her business achievements, humanitarian record and advocacy for women and girls around the world.
- The 2018 Asia Game Changer Awards will be given in October to individuals and institutions who have broken barriers, defined courage, worked miracles, and in turn inspired their fellow citizens of the world.
NASA’s first mission to visit a near-Earth asteroid-Bennu
U.S. playwright Neil Simon has died
- U.S. playwright Neil Simon, who became one of Broadway’s most prolific and popular playwrights as he combined humour, drama and introspection in works such as “The Odd Couple,” “The Goodbye Girl” and “Lost in Yonkers,” died at the age of 91.
- He won Tony Awards for “The Odd Couple,” “Biloxi Blues” and “Lost in Yonkers” and a fourth for his overall contribution to American theatre.
Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami laid the foundation stone
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswami laid the foundation stone for setting up of a Special Investment Region (SIR) in northern Krishnagiri district to attract investments.
- The foundation stone for the Rs 2,420 crore project was laid through video conferencing from the State Secretariat.