18th September 2019 Current Affairs
Government exempts 2% TDS on cash payments of over Rs 1 crore made through APMCs
- Finance Minister of India Smt Nirmala Sitharaman notified that 2% Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) on cash payments above Rs 1 crore made through Agricultural Produce Market Committees (APMCs) will be exempted and it is set to be effective from October 1, 2019.
- This is aimed to discourage cash transactions and move towards a less-cash economy.
Czech tennis player Karolina Pliskova beats Petra Martic winning the 15th WTA singles career title at 2019 Zhengzhou Open in China
- On September 15, 2019, World no.2 Czech tennis player Karolina Pliskova won her career 15th WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) title by defeating Croatia’s Petra Martic at the 6th edition of the 2019 Zhengzhou Open at Zhongyuan Tennis training base management Center, China.
- The prize money of the event that was held from September 9-15 was $1,000,000.
Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina was conferred 2019 Dr Kalam Smriti International Excellence Award in Dhaka
- On September 16, 2019 Bangladesh Prime Minister(PM) Sheik Hasina was awarded Dr Kalam Smriti International Excellence Award for the year 2019 in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Chief Adviser of the Dr Kalam Smriti International Advisory Council Ambassador TP Sreenivasan handed over the international accolade through a ceremony at the Prime Minister’s Office in Dhaka.
Raghu Rai becomes first recipient of inaugural 2019 “Acadmie des beaux-arts Photography Award – William Klein”
- On September 16, 2019, renowned Indian photographer Raghu Rai was chosen as the first recipient of the inaugural “Acadmie des beaux-arts Photography Award – William Klein” for the year 2019 and will be awarded in the Palais de l’Institut de France, Paris, France on October 30.
- The award is named in honour of William Klein, the American born French photographer and filmmaker.
Greta Thunberg wins Amnesty’s highest human rights award
- Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg and the Fridays for Future youth movement received Amnesty International’s ‘Ambassadors of Conscience’ award for their work highlighting the need for urgent action to avert climate disaster.
- The 16-year-old, who is taking a year out of high school, received a standing ovation from students at The George Washington University in the US capital where the ceremony was held.
Wing Commander Anjali Singh becomes India’s first female military diplomat to join Indian Mission in Russia
- On September 10, 2019 Wing Commander Anjali Singh became India’s first female military diplomat posted on an Indian mission abroad after joining the Indian Embassy in Russia as Deputy Air Attache (air force officer involved in diplomatic operations).
- She previously served the Indian Air Force (IAF) for17 years as an Aeronautical Engineer(AE) and is also trained on MiG-29 aircraft.
Asian Development Bank President Takehiko Nakao resigns
- Asian Development Bank President, Takehiko Nakao has announced his resignation which will be effective from January 16 next year.
- During his tenure, he expanded the operations of the funding agency from USD 14 bn in 2013 to USD 22 bn in 2018.
Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
President: Takehiko Nakao
Founded: 19 December 1966
Air-to-Air missile Astra successfully flight tested by IAF from Su-30 MKI from the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha
- On September 17, 2019, The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully flight-tested air-to-air missile Astra from Su-30 MKI as a part of user trials from the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Odisha.
- It is India’s first air-to-air missile which is engaged accurately with the live aerial target demonstrating its capability.
Founded: 8 October 1932
Headquarters: New Delhi
ISRO, DRDO sign MoUs for Gaganyaan mission
- ISRO inked MoUs with DRDO for development of human-centric systems for the Gaganyaan project.
- Space food, space crew health monitoring & emergency survival kit, radiation measurement & protection, parachutes for safe recovery are to be provided by DRDO.
Motto: बलस्य मूलं विज्ञानम्; “Strength’s Origin is in Science” (Sanskrit)
Indian Air Force gets the first shipment of new version of Israeli Guided Bomb Spice 2000
- On September 15, 2019, The Indian Air Force (IAF) has received the first consignment of the upgraded version of the Guided Bomb Spice-2000 with Mark 84 warheads and bombs from Israel at the Gwalior airbase, Madhya Pradesh.
- The bombs are being given to India under a contract worth about Rs 300 crore signed between India and Israel in June 2019.
Congress veteran & freedom fighter BJ Khatal Patil passed away at 100 in Maharashtra
- On September 16, 2019 Congress veteran BJ Khatal Patil passed away at the age of 100 due to Pneumonia at his residence in Rangaragalli in Sangamner town of Maharashtra.
- Born on March 26, 1919, in Sangamner town in Ahmednagar District, Maharashtra, Khatal served as a lawyer and took part in the Indian independence struggle and Non-cooperation movement led by Mahatma Gandhi.
Udhampur district of J&K organized the first women-only marathon against drug addiction
- On September 15, 2019, The Udhampur district of Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) along with non-governmental organization (NGO) Dogra Kranti Dal organized the first women-only marathon on the theme of drug awareness in lines with Prime minister Narendra Modi’s vision of Fit India movement.
- It was attended by chief patron Dogra Kranti Dal and former Member of the Legislative Assembly(MLA) Balwant Singh Mankotia and others.
Wipro Infrastructure and BEML signs MoU to work together in technical sections in Bengaluru
- Defence PSU BEML Ltd and Wipro Infrastructure Engineering (WIN) have signed an MoU to work together in the areas of aerospace, industrial automation, 3-D printing, artificial intelligence and hydraulic system engineering.
- The MoU entails the two firms working together on projects, products, systems, services and projects for DRDO Labs and other government entities in India as well as overseas.