17th March 2019 Current Affairs
Goa CM Manohar Parrikar Passes Away
- Manohar Parrikar, Goa Chief Minister and former defence minister, has passed away at the age of 63 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.
- Parrikar was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer in February 2018.
- He was an IIT Mumbai graduate in metallurgical engineering and among the first members of BJP in Goa.
National (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
- India’s 17th Lok Sabha elections to be held in 7 phases
- PM Modi & Sheikh Hasina jointly unveil e-plaques for development projects in Bangladesh
- DGCA decides to ground Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft with immediate effect
- India Ranks 16th In Terms of Highest Number of Impacted Species in Hotspots
- DDC constitutes a 17-member committee
International (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
Economy and Business (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
Sports (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
- Iniyan becomes India’s 61st Grandmaster
- Sailor Upamanyu Dutta clinches bronze in Asian regatta
- Zinedine Zidane re-appointed as coach of Spanish football club Real Madrid till 2022
- Dipa Karmakar selected as Barbie Role Model
- S Olympic gold medallist Kelly Catlin passes away
- Supreme Court set aside ban on Sreesanth
- Dipa Karmakar qualifies for vault finals in Artistic Gymnastics World Cup
- JP Duminy To Retire from ODIs After World Cup 2019
Awards (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
- Acko wins Golden Peacock Award
- BBC journalist Priyanka Dubey gets Chameli Devi Jain award
- Megha Engineering enters Limca records
- Indian Oil won Gold in Hockey Cup
- President Confers Gallantry and Distinguished Service Awards
- Padmanaban won Commonwealth Youth Award
- Kent RO Awarded as The Best Domestic Water Purifier 2019
- Swati Shingade bags the first prize of DD Mahila Kisan Award
- Ved Rahi won the Kusumagraj literature
Appointments (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
- Anup Kumar Dubey and Sushil Kumar appointed as special directors of ED
- Hasmukh Adhia appointed as Chancellor of Gujarat Central
- Axis Bank names Rakesh Makhija as new Chairman
- M R Kumar appointed LIC Chairman
- Rahul Bajaj Resigns as Bajaj Finserv Chairman
- Supreme Court Appoints PS Narasimha as Mediator to Resolve Disputes Within BCCI
- Santosh Jha Appointed as The Next Ambassador of India To the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Amitabh Kant To Head Transformative Mobility Panel
- A K Misra is new ASRB chief
Miscellaneous (11th March 2019 – 16th March 2019)
Try out the quiz ?
1. Which city in top position in the Mercer’s Quality of Living Survey 2019?
The Austrian capital Vienna topped the new Mercer Quality of Living Survey.
2. Kusumagraj national award for literature has won by....
Film director and novelist Ved Rahi was selected for prestigious ‘Kusumagraj’ national award for literature.
3. Dipa Karmakar qualifies for vault finals in Artistic Gymnastics World Cup. This event held in....
Artistic Gymnastics World Cup event held in Azerbaijan.
4. World Consumer Rights day observed on which day?
The World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated globally on 15th March to promote basic rights of all consumers.
5. DGCA decides to ground Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft with immediate effect. What is the full name of DGCA?
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has decided to ground Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft with immediate effect.
6. Who has been appointed as new Non-Executive Chairman of AXIS bank for a period of three years?
Private sector lender Axis Bank has named ‘Rakesh Makhija’ (67-years) as its new Non-Executive (Part-Time) Chairman for a period of three years.
7. Recently which state Assembly has approved the proposed liquor prohibition bill-2019 in the state?
The Mizoram state Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Zoramthanga has approved the proposed liquor prohibition bill, 2019 in the state.
8. Vinod Kashyap has passed away, he was a famous ....
Veteran Hindi Newsreader Vinod Kashyap (88-years) passed away following a prolonged illness.
9. Dream11 to be official partner for IPL for how many years?
On 15 March 2019, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced Dream11, Indias biggest sports game, as the official partner for the Indian Premier League (IPL) for 4 years.
10. U.S. special forces has hold an exercise with NSG in which place?
The United States Special Forces Group stationed in Japan involved in a joint exercise with India's National Security Guard (NSG) in Hyderabad.
11. Who is the new prime minister of Palestinian?
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has chosen Dr. Mohammad Shtayyeh (60-years) as the new prime minister of Palestinian.
12. Who has been appointed special directors in the Enforcement Directorate?
Senior bureaucrats Anup Kumar Dubey and Sushil Kumar were appointed special directors in the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on 10 March 2019.
13. Naresh Lokesh recognised as Young Global Leader-2019 by which of the following?
According to the World Economic Forum (WEF), Andhra Pradesh IT minister ‘Nara Lokesh’ has been recognised as the Young Global Leader
14. Padmanaban won Commonwealth Youth Award. Padmanaban is related with....
Padmanaban Gopalan, the founder of No Food Waste, was named the winner of the Commonwealth Youth Award for the Asian region in London.