16th July 2019 Current Affairs
Fuzhou (China) to host 2020 session of World Heritage Committee
- The city of Fuzhou (China) will host the next session of the World Heritage Committee in 2020.
- This decision concluded the work of the 43rd session of the World Heritage Committee, meeting in Baku.
- The committee, first convened in Paris in 1977, is tasked with formally elevating sites of cultural, historical, and natural importance to its independently maintained World Heritage Site list, which as of last week’s session includes 1,121 sites in 167 countries.
Official script: Simplified Chinese
President: Xi Jinping
Indian ship sails for Narayanganj in Bangladesh carrying cargo from Bhutan
- An Indian Inland Waterways Authority ship on Saturday headed towards Narayanganj river port in Bangladesh carrying cargo from Bhutan.
- The first ship carrying 1,000 tonnes of crushed stones from Bhutan started its journey from Dhubri river port in Assam and will travel to Narayanganj in Bangladesh, over river Brahmaputra and the Indo-Bangladesh Protocol Route, according to Indian shipping ministry officials.
- Transport of cargo through this route will cut short travel time by 8 to 10 days, and reduce transportation cost by 30 per cent, bringing down logistics costs.
Lewis Hamilton wins record sixth British Grand Prix after Sebastian Vettel crash
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton beat his teammate Valtteri Bottas to take another win of the season.
- In fact, this is Hamilton’s 6th win at Silverstone as he edges further towards the world title with a lead of 39 points.
- He hailed from the United Kingdom.
Prime minister: Theresa May Trending
Currency: Pound sterling
Shah Rukh Khan to be conferred with an Honorary Doctorate by Melbourne’s La Trobe University
- Shah Rukh Khan will be awarded La Trobe University’s highest accolade during his visit to Australia for the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM).
- La Trobe is the first Australian University to award Khan with an Honorary Doctor of Letters (honoris causa), in recognition of his efforts to support underprivileged children, his push for women’s empowerment through MEER Foundation and his achievements in the Indian film industry.
- La Trobe University Vice-Chancellor, Professor John Dewar, said Mr Khan’s philanthropic leadership closely aligns with the University’s values.
Prime minister: Scott Morrison Trending
Currency: Australian dollar
Kiran More Appointed Interim USA Cricket Coach
- Former India wicketkeeper-batsman Kiran More has been appointed the interim coach of the USA cricket team.
- More will take over from the former coach Pubudu Dassanayake of Sri Lanka.
- Indian spinner Sunil Joshi has been appointed as spin bowling advisor.
Capital: Washington, D.C.
President: Donald Trump
Sandeep Sinha resigns as MD of Cummins India
- Sandeep Sinha has resigned from his role as MD of Cummins India.
- Prior to his being the COO of the company, he was the VP of the Industrial Engine Business in India, where he focused on safety, quality, operational & supply-chain excellence.
- “Sandeep Sinha, Managing Director of the Company has tendered his resignation vide letter dated July 15, 2019 to pursue a career outside of the company.
About Cummins India
Parent organization: Cummins
Senior BJP leader Kalraj Mishra appointed Himachal Governor & Acharya Devvrat moved to Gujarat
- Senior BJP leader Kalraj Mishra was on July 15 appointed as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh, replacing Acharya Devvrat, who has been transferred and appointed as the Governor of Gujarat.
- The appointments of Mr. Mishra and Mr. Devvrat will come into effect from the dates they assume charge of their respective offices.
- Mishra (78) had resigned from the Narendra Modi-led government as Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises in 2017 after he crossed the age of 75, the BJP’s unofficial age limit for holding an elected post.
Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat
Chief minister: Vijay Rupani
France celebrates 14 July as its National day
- Bastille Day is celebrated with parades and fireworks across France every 14 July.
- It commemorates the storming of the Bastille prison in 1789 by a mob of Parisians during the opening stages of the French Revolution.
- This is the 230th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille prison which took place in Paris on 14 July 1789.
President: Emmanuel Macron Trending
Currencies: Euro, CFP franc
World Youth Skills Day 2019 observed on July 15
- World Youth Skills Day (WYSD) was observed on July 15, 2019.
- It is celebrated to create awareness on the importance of investing in youth skills development.
- The theme for the year is “Learning to learn for life and work”.
Headquarters: Paris, France
Founded: 16 November 1945, London, United Kingdom
Head: Audrey Azoulay
Formation: 4 November 1945
India’s ambitious moon mission, Chandrayaan-2 called off due to technical glitch
- India’s ambitious moon mission, Chandrayaan-2 has been called off due to a technical snag in just 56 minutes and 24 seconds before its scheduled launch.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) confirmed that the launch had been canceled after a technical snag was detected in one of the launch systems of the GSLVMkIII-M1 (Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mark III).
- The mission was aimed at putting a rover on the moon’s South Pole, where no country has gone before.
Founder: Vikram Sarabhai
Founded: 15 August 1969
First-ever image of quantum entanglement “Bell entanglement” unveiled by the physicists of Glasgow University
- A team of physicists from the University of Glasgow has taken a photo of a strong form of quantum entanglement called Bell entanglement.
- It has captured visual evidence of an elusive phenomenon which a baffled Albert Einstein once called “spooky action at a distance”.
- The photo depicts two photons interacting and sharing physical states for a brief instant — an event that occurs regardless of the actual distance between the particles.
About Albert Einstein
Born: 14 March 1879,Germany
Died: 18 April 1955 New Jersey, United States
Fernando Corbato, the inventor of computer password passed away at 93
- The computer industry has lost another great scientist who helped to discover computer Password.
- Fernando Corbato, who is famous for inventing computer password, also an MIT researcher, has died at the age of 93.
- Throughout his lifetime he has worked on various things, and one can say that his contribution to the computer industry is never going to forget.
- When he was an MIT researcher, he was trying to build a Compatible time-sharing system which would allow multiple users to use a single computer and that’s when he discovered the concept of Computer Password.
Veteran Malayalam cinematographer M J Radhakrishnan passed away in Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram), Kerala
- On July 12, 2019, Malayalam cinematographer M J Radhakrishnan passed away at the age of 60 in Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram), Kerala due to cardiac arrest.
- He hailed from Punalur, Kerala.
- He won seven State Film Awards – only Mankada Ravi Varma has won as many. In a career that spanned over four decades, he worked in about 70 films.
- His last release was Olu, directed by Shaji N. Karun.
HDI (2018): 0.784 (High) · 1st
Chief minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
Chandrakant Kavlekar to be Deputy CM of Goa
- Chandrakant Kavlekar, is to be designated as Deputy Chief Minister of Goa.
- Michael Lobo,Chandrakant Kavlekar, Jeniffer Monserratte & Philip Neri Rodrigues were given portfolios as Goa Ministers.
- The 10 Congress MLAs joined the BJP, increasing the saffron party’s strength to 27 in the 40-member House.
Chief minister: Pramod Sawant
Try out the quiz ?
1. Fuzhou will host the next session of the World Heritage Committee in 2020. In which country Fuzhou is situated?
The city of Fuzhou (China) will host the next session of the World Heritage Committee in 2020.
2. Who has won sixth British Grand Prix?
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton beat his teammate Valtteri Bottas to take another win of the season.
3. Kiran More has been appointed as the interim coach of which of the following cricket team?
Former India wicketkeeper-batsman Kiran More has been appointed the interim coach of the USA cricket team.
4. Sandeep Sinha has resigned from which post of Cummins India?
Sandeep Sinha has resigned from his role as MD of Cummins India.
5. In which day France celebrated its National day?
Bastille Day is celebrated with parades and fireworks across France every 14 July.
6. Fernando Corbato has passed away. He was the inventor of.......
The computer industry has lost another great scientist who helped to discover computer Password.
7. Chandrakant Kavlekar is to be the Deputy CM of which of the following state?
8. In which country Narayanganj river port is situated?
An Indian Inland Waterways Authority ship on Saturday headed towards Narayanganj river port in Bangladesh carrying cargo from Bhutan.
9. Which Indian actor will be awarded by Doctorate of Melbourne’s La Trobe University?
Shah Rukh Khan to be conferred with an Honorary Doctorate by Melbourne’s La Trobe University.
10. Who will be the next governor of Himachal Governor?
Senior BJP leader Kalraj Mishra appointed Himachal Governor & Acharya Devvrat moved to Gujarat.
11. “Learning to learn for life and work” is the theme of World Youth Skills Day 2019. In which day World Youth Skills Day is celebrated?
World Youth Skills Day (WYSD) was observed on July 15, 2019. It is celebrated to create awareness on the importance of investing in youth skills development. The theme for the year is “Learning to learn for life and work”.
12. What is the aim of mission Chandrayaan-2?
India’s ambitious moon mission, Chandrayaan-2 called off due to technical glitch. The mission was aimed at putting a rover on the moon’s South Pole, where no country has gone before.
13. A team of physicists of which University has taken image of a quantum entanglement?
First-ever image of quantum entanglement “Bell entanglement” unveiled by the physicists of Glasgow University.
14. M J Radhakrishnan has passed away. He was a famous.......
Veteran Malayalam cinematographer M J Radhakrishnan passed away in Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram), Kerala.