05th October 2018 Current Affairs
21 IORA countries adopt the Delhi Declaration on Renewable Energy
The Union Cabinet approves Bhopal & Indore Metro Rail Project
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved implementation of Bhopal Metro Rail Project and Indore Metro Rail Project.
- Bhopal Metro Rail Project comprising two corridors of total length 27.87 Km, Karond Circle to AIIMS (14.99 Km) and Bhadbhada Square to RatnagiriTiraha (12.88 Km).
- Madhya Pradesh Metro Rail Co Ltd. (MPMRCL) has been constituted for implementation of the Bhopal Metro Rail Project.
Chanda Kochhar quits ICICI Bank
- ICICI Bank managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) Chanda Kochhar (56-year) quit the bank.
- She quit the post six months before her current tenure was to end (31st March 2019).
- ICICI Bank board has elevated Chief Operating Officer (COO) Sandeep Bakhshi as the new managing director and CEO for five years (until 3rd October 2023).
South Sudanese surgeon receives 2018 Nansen Refugee Award
- The UNHCR (UN refugee agency) honored Dr. Evan Atar Adaha with the 2018 Nansen Refugee Award at a ceremony in Geneva.
- Atar received the award for his outstanding 20-year commitment in providing medical services to people forced to flee conflict and persecution in Sudan.
- Evan Atar Adaha is a surgeon from South Sudan.
- He has been chosen for his 20-year commitment in providing medical services to people forced to flee conflict and persecution in Sudan and South Sudan.
Nobel Peace Prize 2018
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2018 was awarded jointly to Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict.”
- Ms Murad is an Iraqi Yazidi who was tortured and raped by Islamic State militants and later became the face of a campaign to free the Yazidi people.
- Dr Mukwege is a Congolese gynaecologist who, along with his colleagues, has treated tens of thousands of victims.
Sanjay Verma appointed as India's Ambassador to Spain
- According to the Ministry of External Affairs, Senior diplomat Sanjay Verma (Indian Foreign Service officer -1990) has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to Spain.
- Currently, He is Additional Secretary in the ministry.
- Arindam Bagchi (IFS official -1995 batch) has been appointed as the next Indian Ambassador to the Republic of Croatia.
5th October: World Teachers’ Day
- The World Teachers’ Day (WTD) 2018 is being observed across the world on 5th October (since 1994) to honors educator’s associations around the world.
- For 2018, the UNESCO adopted the theme: “The right to education means the right to a qualified teacher.”
- According to UNESCO, World Teachers’ Day represents a significant token of the awareness, understanding, and appreciation displayed for the vital contributions that teachers make to education and development.
First moon outside our solar system discovered
- Astronomers may have discovered the first “exomoon” – a moon outside the solar system.
- This potential new moon orbits a giant, Jupiter-sized planet about 8,000 light-years from Earth.
- Astronomers used data and observations from the Kepler and Hubble space telescopes to study the distant star, planet and possible moon.
Sahyog HOP TAC-2018: India-Vietnam Coast Guard Exercise
- The first ever Indo-Vietnam Coast Guard joint exercise called ‘Sahyog HOP TAC -2018’ was held in the Bay of Bengal off Chennai on 5 Oct 2018.
- Three Indian Coast Guard ships namely Shaurya, Arnvesh and C-431, one Vietnam Coast Guard ship CSB 8001 and one Dornier aircraft and one Chetak helicopter each participated in the exercise.
Indian International Science Festival begins in Lucknow
- A four-day Indian International Science Festival (IISF)2018 has started at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan in Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh).
- The theme of this year’s festival is ‘science for transformation’.
- Around ten thousand scientists and experts, including science teachers and students, are participating in the event.
India’s first dolphin research centre to come up soon in Patna
- The National Dolphin Research Centre (NDRC), India’s and Asia’s first, would be set up in Patna (Bihar).
- The NDRC is likely to be set up next month on the banks of the Ganga river in the Patna University premises.
- It will play an important role in strengthening conservation efforts and research to save the endangered mammal.
Pakistan to set up refinery with Saudi's help in Balochistan
- Pakistan and Saudi Arabia have signed a MoU where Saudi Arabia has committed to set up a state-of-the-art oil refinery in the southwestern province of Balochistan.
- The proposed 500,000-barrel per day refinery is estimated to be completed with an investment of about USD 8 to 9 billion.
- The refinery will be set up at Gwadar, a coastal town on the Arabian Sea where China built a deep seaport under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor.
Try out the quiz ?
Q.1 Which of the following company has received final nod from IRDAI?
Reliance Health Insurance (Anil Ambani-led) has received the final nod from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) to begin operations.
Q.2 Which rank acquired by India in govt e-payment adoption?
India's overall ranking on the government's adoption of e-payments has moved up to 28th in 2018 (36th in 2011).
Q.3 In which country The Sultan of Johor Cup Junior Men's Hockey tournament 2018 (eighth edition) has begins?
The Sultan of Johor Cup Junior Men's Hockey tournament 2018 (eighth edition) begins in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
Q.4 Who is flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for Youth Olympic Games 2018?
Indian sport shooter Manu Bhaker (16-years) is leading the Indian team in the opening ceremony as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for the games.
Q.5 Who is appointed as chief of IDBI By government?
The union government has appointed Rakesh Sharma as managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of IDBI Bank for a period of six months
Q.6 Who is appointed as Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court?
Justice Surya Kant sworn in as the Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
Q.7 Who is appointed as Deputy National Security Advisor of Joint Intelligence Committee?
R N Ravi, the Chairman of the Joint Intelligence Committee, has been re-designated as the Deputy National Security Advisor.
Q.8 Where has been India's first "Methanol Cooking Fuel Program" launched?
The Northeast and Assam Petro-chemicals, a state-owned company, on October 5, 2018 launched Asia's first cannisters based and India's first "Methanol Cooking Fuel Program" in Namrup, Assam.
Q.9 Which of the following zone has become unmanned level crossing free zone?
The Southern Railway has become Unmanned Level Crossing (UMLC) Free Zone, eliminating over 1,000 such level crossings.
Q.10 Read the sentences carefully
1. India and Russia seal defense deal of USD 5 billion for S-400 air defence system deal during the annual bilateral summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin at Hyderabad House.
2. The two countries are also expected to seal the number of pacts in key sectors such as space and energy
3. He will have the task of ensuring a smooth transfer of majority ownership from the government to Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
Which of the above sentences is /are correct ?
India and Russia seal defense deal of USD 5 billion for S-400 air defence system deal during the annual bilateral summit between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin at Hyderabad House. The two countries are also expected to seal the number of pacts in key sectors such as space and energy.